This took me forever to finish (over a year?), but it was finally mailed off to it's recipient before Christmas! We moved after I started it, and then my machine was broken for a while, and I stewed forever about how to quilt it. I also had to work at getting some oil spots off of it, either from my sewing machine or my washer. Grrrr. Sorry photos are kind of dark. I really must do something about the poor lighting and ugly paint in my family room.
This is one block (slightly wide). I free-motioned music notation symbols in the white areas where blocks joined. A straight black line of quilting goes diagonally through the black areas. Plus there's stitch-in-the-ditch around the "sheet music."
I improvised on the back. Since it is a square quilt, I made a "courthouse steps" with pieces of large music fabric scraps I had (I'm usually too cheap to buy backing fabric). The size of the steps depended on how much of each fabric I had.
This is where I got the pattern: http://www.trudiehughes.com/patterns.htm.