Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Quilt with a View

I made two quilts from the pattern "A Quilt with a View," which was in the September 2005 issue of McCall's Quick Quilts magazine. In both quilts I used corduroy from yardage and clothing (pants, shorts, etc., which I obtained mostly from garage sales) and backed one with flannel and the other with homespun. I serged the corduroy squares with the black cotton strips and they went together really fast -- a perfect quilt for using this type of squares -- or so I thought. However, after having them quilted, I took them to a laundromat to use front-loading washing machines and dryers to launder them as they were too heavy to launder in my home machines. In a couple of places on each, I noticed that the corduroy is tearing away from the black strips. :-( I guess corduroy maybe wasn't the best choice afterall. I made these for my two oldest, college-aged sons for Christmas and was hoping for something that would withstand lots of wear. They did like them though, so I will repair them and they will use them.

Kip and his quilt.

Micah and his quilt.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Both boys are handsome as are the quilts. I'm sure they'll survive a little wear and tear and mending... just adds to their story!

Hope your New Year is Bright with many Blessings for 2010!

Barb said...

Wow...all that work, they look great and my first thoughts were that they would be soft and warm....love them....!!! I am sure your sons will too.